Suggest treatment for soft tissue injury on feet

Orthopaedic Surgeon
4 days ago I slipped on the ice, feet went out from underneath me. cough, or take a deep breath. As the old saying goes, If I don't move or breath I feel fine! I am 61 years old, wieigh 234 and got up by myself. How long do you see this lasting, could it be more serious than I think. Advil has been a great help to me, also I am extremely tired.
Posted Fri, 28 Mar 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 20 minutes later
Brief Answer: Soft tissue injury likely. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for posting your query. After a sudden fall, appearance of pain, swelling with skin color changes, tenderness, etc are all indicative of hematoma formation due to a soft tissue injury. If you can bear weight on your legs and can walk a few steps with tolerable pain then a bone injury is not likely. 1. Do a cold compress on the area of injury. 2. Avoid weight bearing on the legs. 3. Get some mild pain killers prescribed from your doctor. Do consult an Orthopedician for a physical examination and stronger prescription medicines in case there is swelling, persistent pain and difficulty in walking. I hope this answers your query. In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out. Wishing you good health. Regards. Dr. Praveen Tayal. For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL
Follow-up: Suggest treatment for soft tissue injury on feet 3 minutes later
What about my ribs? My legs don't bother me, I can climb the stairs with no problem, I am walking slow due o my body being slammed into the pavement. My Dr. is not going to call in pain meds without seeing me, I have no insurance. Is this something that you could do?
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 17 minutes later
Brief Answer: Can take ibuprofen. Detailed Answer: Hello. Thanks for writing again. Fall and injury to chest can cause fracture ribs or muscle or ligament strain or internal bruise. If you have ruled out fracture ribs and there is no local swelling or extreme pain on touch indicative of internal bruise then there is nothing worrisome as of now. Any muscle strain will require time to heal and till then you can take any antiinflammatory analgesic containing acetaminophen and ibuprofen for pain relief. Apply some cold compresses by wrapping ice in a towel. Physiotherapy may provide an early relief. If the pain persists or you develop any new symptom like fever, restriction of movement etc. then seek prompt medical consultation .otherwise just take adequate rest, a healthy diet and plenty of fluids for better healing. Hope my answer is helpful. If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer. Wish you good health. Regards