Suggest treatment for sleeplessness without effecting my pregnancy

Mar 2013
I am 20 weeks pregnant. I have history of sleeping problem. I had taken alprazolam .25 or some time .5 for 6/7 years. but after my marriage I am not taking that medicine. and having natural sleep. from past 2/3 weeks I am not able to sleep whole night. or after 2/3 hrs sleep is breaking. Some time im taking . I am working lady. its really hard to go offce without sleeping all night. I am really rowing about my baby. dr. unable to give any sleeping pills now. no sleep is effect babies growth or effect author way? pls help me..
Posted Sun, 9 Mar 2014 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 26 minutes later
Brief Answer: EXPLAINED BELOW Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for writing to us with your health concern. Firstly, alprazolam is contraindicated totally in pregnancy, so you cannot even consider taking that while you are pregnant. And yes, sleep deprivation does affect both the baby and the mother. It can lead to prolonged labour , painful deliveries, risk of preterm labour, increased chances of Caesarean section, and increased risk of postpartum depression. Please try and imbibe natural methods for better sleep cycle. Getting habituated to medications will further worsen your condition, as at a point of time, you will never be able to sleep without medication. It is natural to have sleep cycles, and moreover during pregnancy, it is natural to get awakened every 2 - 3 hours. This is because of the stress during pregnancy, mild aches and pains as the uterus grows in size, due to increased need to urinate at night, acidity etc. Use extra soft pillows to prop your head and body at night. Use aromatic oil diffusers in the room, breaking ampoules of healing oils such as patchouli and lavender so that you can have a relaxing sleep. Try using a white noise machine to eliminate background noise, and keep the shades and curtains drawn, to eliminate light. Also, sleep early, by 10 pm, and eat atleast 2 hours before sleeping. Have a glass of warm milk with saffron before sleeping. You can play mild relaxing ( sleep soothing ) music in the background to calm you down. You can ask your husband or a relative to provide a gentle massage, particularly of the back and legs and calves to help you relax. Avoid drugs at any cost. Your sleep disruption is nature's way of preparing you for your delivery, once your baby is in hand, you will not be able to sleep continuously through the night ! All the best Please feel free to discuss further.
Follow-up: Suggest treatment for sleeplessness without effecting my pregnancy 21 minutes later
Thanks Doctor. Also I am taking lots of tension,I have history of taking tension, panic and anxiety.. that becoz of sleeping problem I have. what u have suggest. how to relief tension and tress during preg. .. is it harm for baby's growth?
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 5 hours later
Brief Answer: EXPLAINED BELOW Detailed Answer: Any kind of stress is harmful. Try yoga and meditation and deep breathing exercises. You can try seeing a counsellor and have therapy for the panic , anxiety and insomnia. Take care.