Suggest treatment for sleeplessness inspite of using Zyprexa and Seroquel

I have not been able to find a sleep routine that makes me sleepy or stay asleep. Zyprexa worked but i gained 25 pounds. I was put on seroquel and the same weight gain started. I currently take 8mg rozeram,200mg prometrium,2mg lorazepam,600mg gabapentin,and 600mg trileptil
Posted Sat, 22 Mar 2014 in Mental Health
Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Sleep hygiene Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for choosing health care magic for posting your query. I have gone through your question in detail and I can understand what you are going through. It seems your bipolar mood disorder is well controlled except that you are suffering sleep disturbances. I am sure you might have tried lot many things but still I would suggest that maintaining a good sleep hygiene is very essential. 1) Have some aerobic workouts during day preferably in the morning. 2) Have a light dinner. 3) Completely avoid coffee/tea/alcohol/energy drinks/coke/smoking. 4) Have a warm water bath before going to sleep. 5) Dont try very hard to go to sleep. If you are not sleepy then sit on a couch or sofa and do some reading and go to the bed only when you are sleepy. 6) Avoid watching tv or working on laptop/computer or bright screens at night. 7) Keep the lighting of your bedroom dim and make your bed every morning after you wake up so that you get a cozy bed to sleep at night. 8) Use your bedroom only for sleeping and resting and do not do any other work there. 9) Avoid afternoon nap for any reason. Still if you have sleep disturbances then you may need to take some sleeping pills. Zyprexa and quetiapine but cause sedation but like lorazepam you may require some sleeping aid as well. Zolpidem is a good drug at 10 mg dosages for such sleep disturbances and can be taken for a few weeks until the symptoms settle down. Hope I am able to answer your concerns. If you have any further query, I would be glad to help you. If not, you may close the discussion and if possible you may rate the answer for me, so that I get a good feedback. In future if you wish to contact me directly, you can use the below mentioned link: Wish you good health, Kind regards Dr. Srikanth Reddy M.D.
Follow-up: Suggest treatment for sleeplessness inspite of using Zyprexa and Seroquel 35 hours later
i already take lorazepam and rosarem. Thank you for the suggestions. I am also trying natural aides such as chammomile.Maybe another sleeping pill such as zolpidem maybe a good choice.
Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 10 hours later
Brief Answer: Zolpidem should be good Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for the follow-up information. Yes, Zolpidem should be a good option. Regards Dr. Srikanth Reddy MD