Suggest treatment for skin burn on feet

I spilled meat juice on the top of my foot. I was taking the pan from the oven (350). Put my foot in cold water, then put aloe gel on it. Anything else I should do?
Posted Thu, 27 Mar 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 59 minutes later
Brief Answer: antibiotic cream and cover Detailed Answer: Hi, thanks for using healthcare magic The treatment of burns depends somewhat of the extent of the burn (how large the surface area involved), the site of the body and the depth of the burn (1st, 2nd , 3rd or 4th degree). The use of the cold water and aloe were both good . You should now consider the application of a topical cream to reduce the chance of any infection.Aqueous 0.5% Silver nitrite would be a good choice because it is effective against a wide range of organisms. If this is not available then you can use any topical antibiotics available at home. In addition, if you have clean sterile gauze, which should be found in packs in first aid kit, you should cover over the area. This dressing can be changed daily, soak the leg in tepid water first so that the gauze comes off easily. If you have any history of poor circulation to the leg or diabetes, then you would need to have your doctor look at the area in the am because there would be an increased risk of infection if you treat on your own. You would also need to do this is if the wound is deep or involves a wide space. I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
Follow-up: Suggest treatment for skin burn on feet 14 hours later
Thank you for your reply. Before I had your answer, my husband went to the local pharmacist and he recommended a spray, Dermoplast, which I have been using. Shortly after I wrote my original question, a blister formed on the top of my foot. It's about 3" by2" & raised up about half an inch. We plan to get something to cover it. The rest of my foot is just a little red. Sound Ok?
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 2 hours later
Brief Answer: better allow blister to resolve on own Detailed Answer: HI Sorry about the late reply. The dermoblast is a pain relieving spray and would help with that aspect of the injury. As mentioned, if there is any history of circulatory problems of the legs or diabetes then you would need to go to your doctor because there is a higher risk of infection.The blister size you mentioned sounds large and it may be good to have your doctor take a look even if none of the previous illnesses are present. It would be best NOT to prick to blister because this increases the chance of infection. Do not apply any pressure to the blister at this time in case it bursts.You can consider applying the creams mentioned around the area (aqueous 0.5% silver nitrite) or another topical antibiotic if this not available Please feel free to ask anything else
Follow-up: Suggest treatment for skin burn on feet 2 hours later
I don't have diabetes or circulatory problems. I am in Florida on vacation, so I can't see my dr. Should I keep the blister covered? What do I do if it breaks open?
Brief Answer: apply gently Detailed Answer: Hi The initial bandage was applied to the area prior to the appearance of the blister, you can keep it covered but only if you are able to apply the gauze gently so that it does not inadvertently break the blister. You can apply cream gently around the area to prevent infection. If the blister does break, you can continue the daily dressing with gloves, sterile gauze packs and your cream. Remember if the gauze is stuck at any point to the burned area, soak the area in tepid water to allow it to come off easier. When you are changing the dressing, after removing the old one, clean the area before applying another set of cream and gauze. It can be cleaned with NORMAL SALINE SOLUTION which should be available widely at your pharmacy. This is in essence salt water but it is very good to clean wounds prior to dressing. If you notice any signs of infections- fever, worsening pain and/or redness, discharge, you need to seek medical attention Summary: BLISTER- apply cream and gauze gently : (2)when burst- clean with normal saline, dress daily with cream and sterile gauze. Wash hands thouroughly before dressing and use gloves consistently. If gloves before dirty removing old dressing, change to a new pair before apply new dressing Feel free to ask anything else