Suggest treatment for shoulder pain

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Feb 2014
Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Question
FELL AT HOME, LANDED ON XXXXXXX FLOOR AND HURT SHOULDER. RECOMMENDED TREATMENT
Posted Mon, 3 Mar 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 42 minutes later
Brief Answer: Give rest and ice the affected area. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for your query. If you are able move your shoulder and neck without much pain and there is no much swelling and tenderness then a bone injury is unlikely. You need to give rest and ice the affected area. Most often I recommend X-ray to rule out any bony injury and MRI to rule out dislocation or a soft tissue injury in the area. But if there is not much swelling and pain is tolerable, you can try icing and rest before visiting the doctor. You can also take Tablet Motrin 1 tablet with food as and when required to take care of pain. Avoid lifting and rest well. I do hope that you have found something helpful and I will be glad to answer any further query. Take care