Suggest treatment for shoulder pain after accidental fall?

May 2014

Hi Doc I fell on ice yesterday , and used my hands to brace my fall, as result I am now suffering shoulder pain (left side) I can still place pressure (with bearable pain) upward and downward movement, extended arm movement the same and pushing . What would you suggest for speedy recovery, I am a gym goer and of course pain limits my intensity as far as weight lifting is concerned Thank you so much!
Posted Sun, 26 Jan 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Please find detailed answer below Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for writing in to us. I have read through your query in detail. You seem to have had a trivial injury to your shoulder after a fall. Though the exact severity of your problem is difficult to assess, you may choose to take the following treatment options to get pain relief. 1. In the gym and at home please avoid activities and exercises that make your symptoms worse 2. If the pain is increasing, applying ice packs is recommended 3. Painkiller ointment can be used 4. Depending on severity of pain, oral anti-inflammatories may be taken. 5. If your pain and discomfort persist for more than a week with restricted movements at shoulder then physiotherapy is suggested. If you still have the pain after two weeks, you should visit your doctor. Hope your query is answered. Do write back if you have any doubts. Regards, Dr.Vivek