Suggest treatment for severe spinal pain inspite of having lumbar disc disease

Orthopaedic Surgeon
impression. L3-4, 4.0 mm broad based disc protrusion combined facet and ligamentum flavm hypertrophy produces spinal canal narrowing and bilateral lateral recess and neuroaminal narrowing. L4-5,7.9 mm broard based disc protrusion/posterior osteophyte that indents the thecal sac combined with facet.and ligamentum flavum hypertrophy produces marked spinal canal narrowing and bilateral lateral recess and neuroforaminal narrowing. posterior annular tear/tissure.L5-S1, grade 1 retrolisthesis of L5mm, combined with a disc protrusion that indents the thecal sac and ligamentum flavum hypertrophy there is spinal canal narrowing/ bilateral lateral recess and neuroforamina narrowing.there is inpingement on L4/L5 exiting nerve roots. also L1 thru L3 facet/ligamentum flavum hypertrophy produces spinal canal narrowing, been in serve pain 4, 4 yrs, this my 4th MRI and not getting what so ever better. 1 CT scan, neurological surgeon suggested instrumental device/fusion L4 thru S1.
Posted Fri, 21 Mar 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Spine fusion will help. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for posting your query. You have a nerve impingement at L4-5 level and a severe pain. The indications for surgery with persons with lumbar disc disease are:(1) persons with a condition called cauda equina syndrome which is a pattern of neurological , muscular and urogenital symptoms due to compression of certain nerves in the lumbar sacral area.The symptoms would be lower back pain,sciatica, bladder and bowel symptoms,loss of sensation in the buttocks and perineum,muscle weakness. (2)if the neurological deficit is observed to be worsening-if your symptoms and difficulites are progressing (3)sciatic pain for a 6 to 12 weeks Sciatica-this is leg pain that is related to one or more of the nerves coming out from the lumbarsacral spine In general I believe that you may be a candidate for surgery as you state that your symptoms are significant and are persistent for last 4 years. Your neurosurgeon has suggested you rightly. I hope this answers your query. In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out. Wishing you good health. Regards. Dr. Praveen Tayal. For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL