Suggest treatment for severe pain in jaws left side near the ear

I have severe pain in my jaws left side near the ear, not able to chew or move my left side of the mouth. Can you please suggest if i should consult a ENT or dentist. I do not have any cavities thou!
Posted Mon, 18 Nov 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Vaishalee Punj 1 hour later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for posting your query on XXXXXXX

It seems that the temporomandibular joint - left side is affected in your case. It may even be a dislocation of the joint. I think you first need examination and x-ray of the joint and pain-killers and muscle relaxants prescribed by a physician.

Usually many doctors can become involved with taking care of this issue. These include surgeon (especially oral and maxillofacial surgeon), dentist, General Physician and ENT specialist.

I think the first step should be to visit a surgeon (particularly oral and maxillofacial surgeon).

The initial treatment is usually medical and lifestyle management.

Let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr Vaishalee