Suggest treatment for severe nasal congestion

Infectious Diseases Specialist
I have Nasocort but am afraid of having rebound from it, and other side effects-it is supposed to be for bad nasal allergies i believe, but i;m afraid to use it. got really bad inflammation in my nasal passages, can't smell much, can 't hardly eat, congestion comes and goes, mostly clear mucus, sometimes tinged brown, or a little blood-should I just take a bunch of antihistamines or should i try the nasocort or what? this has been going on for about 2 weeks or longer-its really terrible! I have always had over reactions (even more than usual allergic reactions) during pollen season and have had to have prednisone or kenalog in the past because I;m way to over reactive. I take no other RXs and am in really good health other wise. I am a 63 yr.old female, not overweight or have any other problems-can you help? Thank you, XXXX
Posted Wed, 19 Mar 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Praveen G 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Yes you can use Nasacort Detailed Answer: Hello, Welcome to Healthcare Magic, I have gone through your history.As you are having severe nasal congestion probably of allergic origin, definitely the nasacort nasal spray can be used.This will stop the allergic reaction and there by reduces the nasal inflammation and the symptoms get relieved. But it will not relieve the symptoms of nasal allergies immediately, and it can take three to four days to have its full effect. Mean while oral antihistamines should be taken to control the symptoms. It is therefore most effective to start using the nasal spray a few days before you expect to get symptoms, for example before the start of the pollen season. For maximum benefit, the spray should be used regularly while you are still being exposed to the allergen to keep the nasal inflammation under control. Once your symptoms are under control you can be able to reduce your dose. You should always use the lowest dose necessary to relieve your symptoms. Do not use more than your doctor has prescribed. I would suggest you to undergo skin prick test for all the locally prevalent pollen and identify it and try to avoid as much as possible. Otherwise you can go for immunotherapy for the known pollen allergen. Hope I have answered your query, if you have any further query feel free to post them. Thank you.