Suggest treatment for severe indigestion due to anxiety

Hi, I suffer from generalized anxiety. I have been getting indigestion problems especially after eating bloating, burping, farting and I get acid reflux. Its been happening for the last few months comes and goes. I take quick eeze when its bad but other than that it just hangs around all the time. I get worried about it cause with all the wind inside I get uncomfortable feeling on left side of pectoral its not a pain or anything, but tends to go when bloating and burping goes away. What else can i do? Thank you.
Posted Sat, 8 Mar 2014 in Anxiety and Stress
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Do dietary changes and avoid stress. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for trusting us with your health concern. Severe indigestion is a chronic problem and prevention is the best treatment. Your indigestion and gas gets aggravated with anxiety. You need to control anxiety with 1.Check your caffeine intake-Avoid drinking too much tea, coffee or cola. 2.Avoid alcohol and cigarette smoking. 3.Try physical exercise like aerobic exercises daily for twenty minutes. 4.Avoid your worries and problems or solve them with the help of your family and friends. 5. Learn controlled breathing. 6. Do simple relaxation exercises like yoga, meditation, etc. For additional benefit lose weight if you need to. • For heart burn- Eat papaya.(contains an enzyme called papain), XXXXXXX cider vinegar, eating an ounce of almonds, etc will help. • For treatment of gas and bloating- Pineapple juice, lemon juice, ginger juice, grapes, etc may be taken after every meal for relief.Otherwise take antacids and digestive enzymes on regular basis for relief. Avoid foods that cause gas, such as White bread, pasta, pastries, cookies, onions, asparagus, leeks, garlic, chicory roots chicory based coffee substitutes; beans, broccoli, cabbage, and XXXXXXX The amount of gas that different foods cause varies from person to person. Please feel free to discuss further. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have. Wishing you good health. Regards. Dr. Rakhi Tayal. For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL
Follow-up: Suggest treatment for severe indigestion due to anxiety 40 minutes later
Hi, thank you for your detailed answers. The uncomfortable feeling around my left peck is this a normal occurrence when suffering indigestion? I've just been worrying about having a heart attack but i guess that's due to my anxiety. Its not a pain or anything like that and im not dizzy, I have been exercising to try to get the endorphin's going and it does help a bit. Thanks
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 16 minutes later
Brief Answer: Due to indigestion and anxiety. Detailed Answer: Hello. Thanks for writing again. The pain in the left pectoral is a normal finding due to indigestion and gas. Since there is no feeling of chest tightness, sweating choking and out of breath a cardiac cause is not likely. Regular exercise will help in reducing the pain. Hope my answer is helpful. If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer. Wish you good health. Regards
Follow-up: Suggest treatment for severe indigestion due to anxiety 26 minutes later
Thank you very much for clarifying this to me. You have answered the questions brilliantly and I thank you. I will change my diet and limit my stress. Thanks again.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 12 minutes later
Brief Answer: You are welcome. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you. I am glad I could help. Please accept my answer in case there are no further queries and recommend our services to your friends too if you have found it helpful. I wish you the very best in whatever you do. Warm regards