Suggest treatment for severe cold with heavy post nasal drip?

Excellent

ENT Specialist
Question
Hi I Need help i am scared, I have a cold and after every 15-20 seconds i am spitting and i cant sleep cause of i am worried, I am also having a cold minty feeling down my throat,
Posted Tue, 4 Feb 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 24 minutes later
Brief Answer: There is no cause for worry. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you for your query. 1. This seems to be a severe cold with a heavy post nasal drip originating from the nasal cavity and paranasal sinuses. This is common. 2. Take plain steam inhalation through the nose and mouth for 15 minutes. 3. If you have the following medications in addition to Relent, take these now or in the morning. Tab. Solvin, gargle with a medicated gargle and use Otrinoz-P Nasal drops (3-4 in both nostrils) for a couple of days. Relent OD is a once daily tablet. If you have plain Relent tablets or syrup, take another dose. 4. Get yourself examined tomorrow. Your doctor may advise a sinus x-ray and blood tests. Further medication will depend upon the examination findings. I hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be available to answer them. Regards.

Follow-up: Suggest treatment for severe cold with heavy post nasal drip? 9 minutes later
I hope i am not suffering from hypersalivation? I have taken a salt water gargle and since i am asthmatic I cant gargle with Solvin but can Gargle with disprin.
Follow-up: Suggest treatment for severe cold with heavy post nasal drip? 2 minutes later
I have been Diagnosed with Pharyingitis today.

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 9 minutes later
Brief Answer: As below: Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you for writing back. 1. Hypersalivation is likely a reflex due to the cold and anxiety. Other causes include dehydration, thick mucus / post nasal drip and gastritis due to excessive use of disprin gargles. Avoid disprin if you are asthmatic. 2. Solvin is not a gargle. It is a decongestant and mucolytic. I hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be available to answer them. Regards.

Follow-up: Suggest treatment for severe cold with heavy post nasal drip? 3 minutes later
I read somehwere that due to hyper Salivation People choke in their sleep is it true?

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 30 minutes later
Brief Answer: No, this is not possible in your case. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you for writing back. 1. You will not choke in your sleep due to excess saliva. 2. The choking sensation may be a laryngospasm or due to dryness following mouth breathing due to a blocked nose. 3. With normal throat and laryngeal reflexes, aspiration of saliva into the air way and lungs does not happen. The occasional choking or cough may be related to a minute aspiration due to normally decreased swallowing movements during sleep. 4. Sleep on one side and not on your back. I hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be available to answer them. Regards.