Suggest treatment for severe chest congestion

ENT Specialist
hi... my son is 2 and half years he is having severe congestion and teh mucus is not coming out .. i have given hime eucalytus oil steam... but still...he finds uneasy to breath...let me know what can i give him for immediate relief...his mucus is yellowish in color.
Posted Wed, 5 Feb 2014 in Asthma and Allergy
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 26 minutes later
Brief Answer: As below: Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you for your query. 1. You need to get his chest examined as soon as possible.Auscultation will help find out whether he has the uneasiness due to the thick mucus or the asthma. 2. For the mucus a mucolytic such asbromhexine or ambroxol will help thin out the mucus. If there is a bronchospasm, a cough syrup with a bronchodilator will ease his breathing. The mucus may be cultured, if possible. Anti-allergic medication and antibiotics may also be added. You will require a prescription for these medications. 3. At his age, it is better to get a lateral skull X-ray to check for adenoid hypertrophy which often adds to the respiratory distress. I hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be available to answer them. Regards.