Suggest treatment for severe back pain radiating to head

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Dear Doc, I got the severe pain in my back in November, 2013 with pain generating from middle of back and severe pain radiating to the head, front side. I took few pain killers and also took Vitcofol injections. Vitocofol injections helped me a lot. The severity was of that order that i felt few nerves from back to the head have waves arising and while spraying volini the nerves used to come down and settle down and relaxed. AFter then, i got pain on the left side and started feeling that severe ligament injury has occurred on the left hand. I consulted a doctor (neurophysician) and prescribed me MRIs of brain and full spine. Fortunately, everything is absolutely fine. He has given me Staopam plus, Gabapentin and Inderal and asked for exercises. Also, one thing i want to add is the intense generation of light coming out along with heaviness in head and especially in eyes. Please suggest me something. That will be kind enough.
Posted Sat, 1 Mar 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 5 hours later
Brief Answer: Due to nerve related issues. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for posting your query. The symptoms that you are having are likely to be due to a nerve related problem. This can happen due to plaque formation in the blood vessels, diabetes, stroke, multiple sclerosis and underactive thyroid. Abnormal levels of calcium, potassium, or sodium in your body and a lack of vitamin B12 can also cause these symptoms. You can get the related blood tests done and take some vit B12 for some days and see if the symptoms improve. Do continue with the treatment prescribed by your neurologist. I hope this answers your query. In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out. Wishing you good health. Regards. Dr. Praveen Tayal. For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL
Follow-up: Suggest treatment for severe back pain radiating to head 5 hours later
Actually, deficiency of B12 was determined to be 340 close to the border line of 250 in 2012. SInce then, i have taken vitocofol injections course (5 injections in 10 days) 4 times. Do i need to repeat this course yet again or some other tests are required ?
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 18 hours later
Brief Answer: Do blood tests first. Detailed Answer: Hello. Thanks for writing again. It is best to test your serum electrolytes; thyroid hormone levels and vitamin B 12 levels before starting with any supplements. This will help in guiding us regarding the doses and the duration of treatment. Hope my answer is helpful. If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer. Wish you good health. Regards