Suggest treatment for severe anxiety

Hello, I have a mysterious group of problems that all started three years ago and no doctor has been able to diagnose. I get severe headaches behind my eyes and forehead, I get massive sweats, almost exclusively on my back, lasting anything from one minute to five hours, I faint about once a week, sometimes losing consciousness, other times just an attack of severe weakness such that I fall over. after five minutes I am fine again. My stools, sweat and breath smell dreadful. Because of the headaches I am on painkillers daily. As an experiment my doctor tried Verapamil 160mg daily which at first stopped all the symptoms, but after a month everything is back again. They found a tumour in my thyroid but a biopsy showed it to be benign and so has been left alone. My endocrone system has been thoroughly tested and found ok, as has my heart. Full body and head scans show nothing. Blood tests show my liver and kydneys all good as are my hormone levels. There was some suggestion that my work in a photo lab could have been a problem, but after no contact with these chemicals for a year things have not got any better, so the toxologist feels that is irrelevant. I am normal weight for my height and 54 years old. Any advice would be appreciated,XXXX
Posted Wed, 26 Feb 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Saatiish Jhuntrraa 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Take Hamilton's anxiety rating scale Detailed Answer: Hello XXXX You have been thoroughly investigated for a lot of diseases and Verapamil once helped you. I think it could be Anxiety Disorder . Please look for Hamilton's scale for Generalized Anxiety disorder and assess for yourself. It is available on internet. If it fits you, you have a good news because this is easily treatable with SSRI Please inform in next follow up question how did you fare in the scale. Good Luck, DR SAATIISH JHUNTRRAA
Follow-up: Suggest treatment for severe anxiety 31 hours later
Hello, On the Hamilton's scale I assessed myself at a level of 25 thanks, XXXX
Answered by Dr. Saatiish Jhuntrraa 11 hours later
Brief Answer: Consider taking SSRI medicines Detailed Answer: Hello A score of 25 or more indicates moderate to severe anxiety disorder. You can consider to take SSRI to boost up serotonin in your brain synapses . They are Sertraline 50-150 MG, ParoxetineCR 12.5 -37.5 mg, Fluoxetine 20-60 mg . Any of these can be taken after consultation with your doctor. It takes bout 4-6 weeks to start showing the improvement but some times it may take up to 12 weeks,. Common SIDE EFFECTS are stomach upset, nausea,constipation,dizziness and restlessness but generally these are short lived and disappear by 2-3 rd week. Good Luck DR SAATIISH JHUNTRRAA