Suggest treatment for sebaceous cyst removal

General Surgeon
I have a sebaceous cyst on my upper back. I have cunsulted a dermatologist and was informed that excision of the cyst will cause kelodial scar. i am looking for a second opinion. How do I get rid of the cyst? Thanks
Posted Thu, 27 Feb 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Back is rare site for occurrence of keloid Detailed Answer: Hi Welcome to Healthcare-Magic Greetings of the day The only option to get rid of the cyst is Surgical excision. Back is not common site for occurrence of keloid following Surgical excision. Keloid usually occurs in certain ethnic groups with genetic predisposition. It depends on location too. Back is not a common site for occurrence of keloid . I have never encountered any keloid occurring in the back following removal of sebaceous cyst. Rest be assured that there is no cause for concern. Take care Best Regards Dr Deepak Kishore MBBS, MS, MCH Consultant Surgeon
Follow-up: Suggest treatment for sebaceous cyst removal 2 days later
Hello, Thanks for your quick response. I am actually little confused now. The dematologist said an excision can cause keloid and I thought I should not get the cyst removed. but with your response, it looks like I can go for it. Could you please let me know what kind of a scar the excision of cyst from my back can cause (in the worst case scenario)? Thanks, XXXX
Answered by Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari 5 minutes later
Brief Answer: In the worst scenario wound infection can occur Detailed Answer: Hi Greetings The only complication I have come across scar following excision of huge cyst is seroma formation and infection. It definitely responds to conservative management. I have never come across keloid over the back, even if it occurs it can be conservatively managed by local steroid injection. If you would have been my patient I would have explained to the possibility of infection and very remote unlikely possibility of keloid and proceeded to Surgical excision after taking written informed consent. Wishing you happy and healthy life. Take care Best Regards Dr Deepak