Suggest treatment for sciatica pain

I have document ended sciatica and a tear in my rotator cuff. My husband got hurt and we lost our insurance I've been working and was close to being able to get ins through marketplace. Unfortunately my sciatica acted up and I lost my job. I need to get back to work asap but need a pain med to help at least when I get home. What are my options until I can get ins again. Hurting physically and financially. Thank you for your time
Posted Sun, 9 Mar 2014 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 54 minutes later
Brief Answer: A few suggestions for you ma'am Detailed Answer: Hello ma'am and welcome. Thank you for writing to us. I completely understand what you are going through ma'am. And I would love to help as much as possible, but the really tricky part here is whether or not you will be able to get the medications that are usually used from the pharmacy without a prescription. I shall go ahead and list out all the pain management medications that are typically used to help with sciatica pain, along with a few suggestions to help prevent irritation of the sciatic nerve itself. They are: -Medications: a. Tylenol (acetaminphen): Should be easily accessible as it is mild and does not have any serious side effects to it at all b. Naproxen: Is in my opinion the best pain management medication for sciatica, but may be a little difficult to get your hands not c. Ibuprofen: Also quite effective, but may be slightly difficult to access -Suggestions: a. Warm compress: Apply for 15 minutes every 3 hours b. Do not sit for prolonged periods. Keep introducing short walks in between long duration's of sitting (especially if you have a desk job) c. Choose between sitting and standing if you have an option. Avoid sitting if you can stand I hope and pray your sciatica does not interfere in your daily regimen and life any further. Wishing you nothing but the best. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications, I would be more than happy to help you. Best wishes ma'am.
Follow-up: Suggest treatment for sciatica pain 6 minutes later
I have tried everything u have suggested. I can go to a local doc bring my MRI,s and get med but I cant afford the $125 right now. Need help please. My shoulder hurts but I can deal sciatica has me in tears
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 38 minutes later
Brief Answer: Unfortunately only 2 inaccessible options left :( Detailed Answer: Hello once again ma'am. In that case, we have only 2 options left as per the literature available on sciatica treatment and my experience, but because both these options are difficult for you, I suggested the above. I shall list our last two options for you ma'am: 1. Stronger pain management medications (eg. oxycodone, methadone, morphine, etc.). But all these medications will be close to impossible to access without a doctor's prescription ma'am. 2. Surgery I am so sorry to inform you about this ma'am. But unfortunately, these are the only two options logically left ma'am. I am really very sorry. I hope you can find a way around this ma'am. Wishing you the best.