Suggest treatment for rheumatoid arthritis pain

Rheumatologist
Question
i WAS DIAGNOSE WITH RA ARTHRITIS. WHEN I WAS FIFTHTEEN YEARS OLD. IT WAS TOLD TO MY MOTHER THAT IT WILL COME IN SOME YEARS WHICH IT HAS. RECENTLY, I FIRST HAD PAIN IN BOTH MY HIPS AND LEGS. I WENT TO THE EMERGENCY ROOM AND THEY SUGGEST THAT I SEE RHEULOGIST. THE MEDICATION THAT WAS PRESCRIBE WAS TRAMADOLAND ANOTHER PAIN RELIEVER. BUT THEY BOTH DIDN'T SEEM TO HELP. SO I END UP WITH A DOCTOR THAT DID BLOOD WORK AND XRAYS AND HE WAS THE ONE THAT SUGGEST ARTHRITIS. WHAT CAN TELL ME?
Posted Fri, 7 Mar 2014 in Lupus

Answered by Dr. Alokkalyani 39 minutes later
Brief Answer: Need evaluation Detailed Answer: Hi, I am Dr Alok, pleased to answer your health related queries You have mentioned that you were diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis. Here pain killers would not work. You will need DMARDs like methotrexate etc. Meanwhile you can go for some inflammatory markers like ESR, CRP etc. These investigations can gives a rough idea about inflammation Yes, you need a full evaluation by a rheumatologist. Hope this will help If you have any further queries, please donot hesitate. Dr Alok

Follow-up: Suggest treatment for rheumatoid arthritis pain 1 hour later
Where do one go to see markere as you suggested ESR CRP. Are you suggesting methotrexate? Is this an prescribe drug? Thanks XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Alokkalyani 8 minutes later
Brief Answer: rheumatologist Detailed Answer: Hi for ESR and CRP, even your GP can arrange that. Yes, for rheumatoid arthritis, Methotrexate is main medicine, but this is a prescription drug, you cannot take it without the written advise of your doctor. Dr Alok

Follow-up: Suggest treatment for rheumatoid arthritis pain 3 hours later
What am I to do until I get help from an professional doctor? What is over the counter to take until then. Pleasebe cause I even went as far as to getting a brace to getting a heating pad!!! Any good suggestion will be great!!!! XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Alokkalyani 4 hours later
Brief Answer: over the counter pain killer Detailed Answer: Hi, Till you see a rheumatologist, you can take over the counters pain medicines like ptrax etc. But truly speaking, these can help only in a limited extent. Regards,