Suggest treatment for remission of the graves and hyperthyroidism

I had Graves Disease with hyperthyroidism for almost 3 years now I'm am in remission of the graves and hyperthyroidism. its been about almost 2 years now my remission, what are my odds of me coming back, and what can bring it on. what sign will I have if it returns. and what are my chances of surviving it again. if I get it back will it be as worst as before. what can I do to prevent it from coming back.
Posted Tue, 18 Feb 2014 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. Suleman Muhammad 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Graves, Need management, odds explained Detailed Answer: Good day XXXX thank you for asking. I am Dr Suleman and i would like to help you with the odds for Graves disease remission. Miss XXXXXXX i want you to know that remission in graves disease depends upon the persistent thyroid tissue even after ablation. The odds are high if there is still that tissue left or TSI antibodies are high in titres. In which case it will need further radioactive iodine and ablation therapy. Usually Post hyperthyroidism people get hypothyroid and they are replaced with thyroid hormones lifelong thyroxine. Now what you can do to prevent is keep in touch with self educating aspects of this disease. and avoid any medicines that contain alpha-adrenergic agonists such as ephedrine or pseudoephedrine a common active ingredient in over the counter cough and cold remedies. WWW.WWWW.WW WWW.WWWW.WW Above two links are best source of self education and recommended by American college of endocrinology. you should also watch for fever, sore throat, and throat ulcers etc which are very common in thyroid medicines. Plus you should also get screened or stay alert for other autoimmune disorders as graves disease patients are prone to them compared to rest of the population like Rheumatoid arthritis, Hashimotos, pernicious anemia, systemic lupus erythematosus, XXXXXXX disease, celiac disease, and vitiligo etc. Rest you need monitoring or follow ups for any graves related collateral damage like opthalmopathy, cardiac decomprensation, osteoporosis, psychiatric manifestation etc. Now the symptoms severity on recurrence purely depends on treatment delay. the more you delay the more the symptom will worsen. And yes there are pretty much chances surviving recurrences even. Mortality is not an issue here. Morbidity is. Hope Miss XXXXXXX you got what you were here for. Keep in touch and get me posted and don't forget to close the discussion. Take care