Suggest treatment for recurring sore throat

Hello, My sore throat has come on fast. Here are my symptoms: Some nasal congestion, post nasal drip, flat "blisters", very red, hurts to talk and swallow- 8 on a scale of 10 sore neck muscles, tired. Thanks for feedback, XXXXXXX
Posted Fri, 7 Feb 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 50 minutes later
Brief Answer: usually a viral illness Detailed Answer: HI, thanks for using healthcare magic Most cases of sore throat are viral though bacterial infection can also occur. The bacteria that is associated with sore throat is grp b strep , in this bacterial there is usually a prolonged fever, pus can be seen at the back of the throat and the lymph nodes in the neck are enlarged. In the absence of these symptoms, your sore throat is likely viral as it is is most persons. Viral infections such as the cough and cold can cause the collection of symptoms that you have. You should consider gargles or sprays that combine antiseptic and pain medication. These can usually be obtained over the counter, examples are chloroseptic spray or gargle, diflam, bethadine gargle. You should use cold drinks or foods, they would also help the throat. Decongestants , oral or topical , would help the nasal congestion. These normally combined with antihistamines which also be helpful. Again these would be available at your local pharmacy. The topical decongestants are normal saline drops or otrivine. A humidifier would also help with the congestion. You need to rest is possible. I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions