Suggest treatment for recurring shingles

Hello, I'm a 53 year old woman and I have shingles. I can't seem to get relief. They coming back. Behind and under the back of my left ear and seem to cause lymph glands to enlarge. They also are very prone to have their party down the center of my spine. I'm in remission from cancer. Breast a two time reocurrance. I broke my leg and angle in 6 places and will have to under go surgery to either fuse or replace the ankle. It is my thinking that the Vicodin I take to give me some relief is causing this to wreak havoc on the shingle problem. Could this be true? Thank you
Posted Fri, 7 Mar 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Charu Bansal 40 minutes later
Brief Answer: details follows Detailed Answer: Hello dear, Welcome to healthcaremagic. I am Dr. Charu. I read your query and will try my best to solve it. Shingles also known as herpes zoster is a disease characterised by fluid filled lesions in a dermatomal pattern. It is a painful condition. I can understand your grief. But the sad part is the highly recurrent nature especially in immunocompromised people like with history of cancer, on immunosuppressive therapies. The attack is also precipitated by stress or trauma. That is why you are getting frequent attacks. Vicodin does not precipitate or aggravate the shingle attack. The chances of recurrence can be decreased by taking a course of tab acyclovir within 1- 2 days of getting lesions of shingles. Along with painkillers and anti inflammatory drugs are given to reduce the pain and redness. Also consideration can be given to start drugs like valyclovir, famciclovir if one does not respond to acyclovir. I will advice you to discuss this with doctor, i hope she/he will agree with my opinion. I hope i am able to solve your query. If you have any further query, you may ask me. Else you may kindly close the discussion and rate it. Thanx. Get well soon.