Suggest treatment for recurring migraine

I have a migraine now and every day. I have an earache every headache. This is ruining my life evey day. I've been to a neurologist and they have just given up. Been at this for years with no releif . Am 72 and so tired and sickly every day while taking imitrex at least every 24 hrs. I was an x-ray tech and had to quit 12 years ago. Smells seem to be a trigger and if I get upset for any reason. Might you have any ideas? Carole
Posted Sun, 23 Feb 2014 in Headache and Migraines
Answered by Dr. Prasad 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Electrical neuromodulation; alternative therapies Detailed Answer: Hi, You seem to be troubled badly by migraine. I have treated every day migraines with prophylactic drugs like anticonvulsants, tricyclic antidepressants and calcium channel blockers. These drugs have worked wonderfully along with triptans to give patients migraine free life. I am not sure if you have tried these prophylactic medicines too. Since you been working with neurologist, I am sure they would know about migraine prophylactic drugs and could prescribe one of those to you. Besides these medicines: 1. Some of my patients combine preventive medicines along with alternative therapy including yoga, ayurveda, homeopathy and other holistic medicines for better migraine relief. Many of them have found combination therapy more effective. Few of them have switched over completely to alternative therapy. You could try those. 2. Electric neuromodulation is being studied as a new treatment option of migraines. You may try that out. 3. Make a habit to sleep well, eat at regular intervals, avoid walking out in the sun. You also know a trigger; avoid it. Hope this information helps you. Let me know if you need clarifications. Regards