Suggest treatment for recurrent pain in my toes

Infectious Diseases Specialist
I have pain in the toes of my right can be a burning feeling,It can be general can also involve the ball of my foot.When I sit it feels better but the burning will still come and go.I have had xrays and everything is normal.The pain just doesn't seem to be getting better.Any ideas
Posted Fri, 14 Mar 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Praveen G 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Causes of pain in the toes of the foot Detailed Answer: Hello, After going through your history, pain in your toes may be due to various reasons like Arthritis- Considering your age this may be the reason for your symptoms, as age advances it will leads to wear and tears in the joints and may leads to generalized pain. Fracture bone- Osteoporosis (weakness) of the bone due to age and trivial injury can lead to fracture and produce these symptoms.But your X ray did not shows any signs of fracture,so it may not be the reason for your pain in the toes. Bunion- These are irregular bony prominence on the joint, bunions most commonly affect the inner foot at the base of the big toe but also can affect the outside of the foot at the base of the little toe. Injuries to muscles,ligament and tendon- This requires physical examination for confirmation of injury. Diabetes- This is one of the most common cause for burning sensation in the foot (peripheral neuropathy).But as you have not mentioned in your medical history regarding your diabetes,considering your age I would suggest you to check your fasting blood sugar and post prandial blood sugar levels. Gout - It may also cause similar symptoms due to the deposition of uric acid crystals. I would recommend you to test for uric acid crystals. Hope i have cleared your doubts regarding the pain in your toes. If any further query, feel free to post me. Thank you.