Suggest treatment for recurrent dandruff

Dear Doctor, I have been diagnoized with chronic seborric dermatitis on scalp. I have this problem for the last 15 yrs. But for the last 5 yrs i have been taking treatment. I have oily skin. I had used candid tv selenium sulfide shampoo and head & shoulders zinc pyrithone shampoos for 5 years. but since last year my scalp stopped responding to these shampoos. Hence doctor advised to switch to nizoral shampoo as my scalp didnt react to Cipla 8x shampoo. now after using for one year and now relocated to bangalore even nizoral shampoo is not working. i get itching and hairs come off with white dots or minute flakes at the base. i dont get major flaking as i wash daily and dont use any oil or hair products, please advise what shampoo or treatment regime i have to use or follow...
Posted Mon, 3 Mar 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 29 minutes later
Brief Answer: Recurrent dandruff , continous treatment required Detailed Answer: Hi I understand your concern regarding your skin problem and I hope I am able to help you in the same. Your problem is that of chronic seborrhoeic dermatitis. Although the treatment that you have been taking should have helped but you still seem to be developing recurrence. Since dandruff is basically caused by an overgrowth of a certain type of fungus, you should take a course of oral antifungal tablets in the form of tablet fluconazole 150 mg once a week for four weeks. In addition , you can apply something like zydip lotion every night to the scalp. For washing hair ,you can use scalpe shampoo twice a week.But when you apply this shampoo ,you should leave it over the scalp for some five to seven minutes before washing it off. Once your issue of dandruff is solved, you can stop all other medicines and continue to use the shampoo twice a week. Also you should avoid the application of any hair oil. I am sure this will help you. Dr Geetika Paul