Suggest treatment for productive cough

General Surgeon
I have a wet cough and its not reducing from last 1 month. I have tried benadril,corex,cof0ryl syrups, but no improvement. Please suggest me good medicines
Posted Sun, 23 Feb 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari 48 minutes later
Brief Answer: To rule out possibility of Pulmonary Tuberculosis Detailed Answer: Hi Namasthe Welcome to Healthcare-Magic Greetings of the day Dear XXXX Productive cough ( cough with expectoration) going on for more than 3 to 4 weeks it's important to consider the possibility of Pulmonary Tuberculosis especially in the Indian scenario. I would suggest you to get Sputum for Acid fast bacilli (AFB) done to rule out the possibility of Tuberculosis along with Chest Xray PA view. Cough suppressant are definitely not indicated in treatment of productive cough as suppressing the cough will lead on to accumulation of secretion in airway and causing blockade. I would suggest you to consult your Physician and plan the things. In the meantime I would suggest you the following which will definitely provide the much needed symptomatic relief 1. Steam inhalation: 15 to 20 minutes each session thrice a day 2. Warm Saline gargling thrice a day 3. Mucolytic Expectorant Cough Syrup will definitely help:Ascoril expectorant 7 ml thrice a day (adult dosage). 4. Decoction of following : 1 cup of milk + 10 Tulsi leaves + 1 spoon of turmeric + 2 gm of fresh ginger + 2 spoon of sugar. Bring it to boil and consume hot thrice a day. 4. Antibiotics: 7 day course of Augmentin 1 gm twice daily will be helpful . Wishing you a very happy and healthy life. In case you require any further assistance, will be glad to assist you. Take care Best Regards Dr Deepak Kishore MBBS, MS, MCH Consultant Surgeon