Suggest treatment for premature graying of hair

Jan 2014

Hi, I am XXXX. I am 26 year old. My hair get's more white day by day. Is their any solutions to stop that?
Posted Sun, 2 Mar 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 47 minutes later
Brief Answer: Oral PABA+5%Melitane Detailed Answer: Hi. Thanks for posting your concern at XXXXXXX Hair is said to gray prematurely when it occurs before the age of 20 in whites, 25 in Asians and before 30 in africans Premature graying of hair occurs more commonly without any underlying pathology but is said to be mostly inherited. A role is postulated for environmental factors such as ultraviolet light, climate, smoking, drugs, trace elements, and nutritional deficiencies in the causation of premature graying. However, to date the exact etiology of premature graying has not been established. The color of hair mainly relies on the presence or absence of melanin pigment. It has been shown that gray hair has undergone a marked reduction in melanogenically active melanocytes in the hair follicle. Studies also show a relation between premature graying of hair and low S. Ferritin, S. Ca and vit D3 levels Treatment modalities available are: --Calcium pantothenate and --Para Aminobenzoic acid 100 mg thrice daily. With Para aminobenzoic acid (PABA) temporary hair darkening has been reported after ingestion of 100 mg three times daily. Darkening is obvious within 2–4 months of starting treatment. Even if it does'nt reverse the already white hairs into black, it can definitely arrest further progress. Topical 5% Melitane is also claimed to reverse and arrest further premature graying of hair. Therefore I would advice that you visit a dermatologist and discuss regarding various treatment modalities and get a prescription. Hope this helps you regards