Suggest treatment for premature graying of hair

Jan 2014

Hi doctor My hair has started greying quite fast these days. I was diagonsed with minor typhoid three months back and after that the problem is getting worse. Please tell me the way to reverse this. Thanks
Posted Thu, 27 Feb 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Oral PABA+5%Melitane Detailed Answer: Hi. Thanks for posting your concern at XXXXXXX Hair is said to gray prematurely when it occurs before the age of 20 in whites, 25 in Asians. Premature graying of hair occurs more commonly without any underlying pathology but is said to be mostly inherited. A role is postulated for environmental factors such as ultraviolet light, climate, smoking, drugs, trace elements, and nutritional deficiencies in the causation of premature graying. However, to date the exact etiology of premature graying has not been established. The color of hair mainly relies on the presence or absence of melanin pigment. It has been shown that gray hair has undergone a marked reduction in melanogenically active melanocytes in the hair follicle. Studies also show a relation between premature graying of hair and low S. Ferritin, S. Ca and vit D3 levels Treatment modalities available are: Calcium pantothenate and Para Aminobenzoic acid 100 mg thrice daily. With Para aminobenzoic acid (PABA) temporary hair darkening has been reported after ingestion of 100 mg three times daily. Darkening is obvious within 2–4 months of starting treatment. Even if it does'nt reverse the whitening it can definitely arrest further progress. Topical 5% Melitane is also claimed to reverse and arrest further premature graying of hair. Therefore i would advice that you visit a dermatologist and discuss regarding various treatment modalities and get a prescription out of these medications. Hope this helps you regards