Suggest treatment for post-traumatic neuralgia

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Had a Side strain injury in 2012 while bowling during a cricket match(right hand bowler) and the pain still persist in the lower ribs area of the left side.Consulted 2 doctors so far and they all told me to have vitamins which helped me to some extend. the second doctor has found that I have insufficient level of VItamin B12 and vitamin D.Which helped me to some extent by having the supplements for the same.But still the pain persist and its been almost 2 years i have stopped from playing cricket due to the pain. Below are the symptoms that i will get occassionaly Feeling on tightness on the side of the lower ribs. Sharp pain on the side of the lower ribs opposite bowling arm. Pain on leaning away from the affected side. Sharp pain while having a deep breath. Pls help me to completely come out of the pain and will be greatly thankful to you if you can guide me in a right path. Pls suggest the proper diet and excercise that i need to follow to come out of this nagging pain as well. Thanks, XXXX
Posted Thu, 27 Feb 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Post-traumatic neuralgia. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for your query. From description it seems that you are suffering from post-traumatic neuralgia. It is rarely diagnosed because the diagnosis cannot be established with laboratory tests, x-rays, MRIs, etc. The pain is often described as stabbing, tearing, sharp, spasm-like, tender, aching or gnawing. It typically feels like the pain wraps around your chest in a band-like pattern The pain may intensify during exertion or with sudden movements , such as coughing or laughing. Treatments include anti-inflammatory medicines, nerve-silencing medicines, physical therapy, anesthetic patches, and pain pills. When these simple treatments fail, nerve blocks should be tried because they commonly provide dramatic relief. I do hope that you have found something helpful and I will be glad to answer any further query. Take care