Suggest treatment for post pimple scars

There are lot of black spots on my face that were caused by acne. Although my pimples have reduced the marks still remain. I tried BenZac (benzoyl peroxide gel) but there were no visible results. Could you suggest any alternative medication? And any cream to treat those occasional red bumps(pimples)?
Posted Fri, 24 Jan 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 17 minutes later
Brief Answer: pictures Detailed Answer: HI See you have two problems. The main concern is the post pimple scars that you have although you still do develop some lesions of acne. Now the cream that you are already using is basically for pimples and not for scars. See treatment of this condition varies according of the severity of the problem. Please click some close up pictures of the face showing the lesions over the face. I will guide you regarding the treatment to be taken once I take a look at the extend of the problem. You can upload the pictures here on this page. You can also mail them at YYYY@YYYY with heading as ref to Dr Geetika Paul. Dr Geetika Paul
Follow-up: Suggest treatment for post pimple scars 3 minutes later
Thanks for the respnse. Please find attached Doc.o
Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 12 minutes later
Brief Answer: Acne and scars Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX Well you have got quite a few active acne lesions along with scarring. Now our first aim has to be the active lesions of acne. You need to start with oral therapy. Take tablet azithromycin 500 mg once a day for five days. Along with it , you should apply clindamycin gel over the pimples in the morning. Continue using benzoyl peroxide gel in the evening. Now for the pigmentation, apply azelaic acid 20% over the scars and dark area at night. Use a good sunscreen like neutrogena dry touch before going out in the sun. This will prevent further pigmentation due to sun exposure. Do not touch or squeeze the acne lesions. Avoid using hair oil or moisturizers over the face. Avoid eating nuts. I am starting with a minimal treatment approach. You continue with it for atleast two to three weeks. If the problem persists, we will step up the medicines but I am sure this will help you. Also if you have already taken any oral medicines for the acne lesions, please let me know. Dr Geetika Paul
Follow-up: Suggest treatment for post pimple scars 12 minutes later
Thanks doc. I'm currently using Doxicip 100 as prescribed. I believe i should not use two antibiotics at a same time. It's been 4 days i started using. Let me know.
Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 37 minutes later
Brief Answer: acne Detailed Answer: Hi again Since you are using doxycycline , I would recommend you to continue with the same. Take 100 mg tablet twice a day for atleast two weeks and then decrease the dose to once a day. You can avoid taking azithromycin for the moment. Rest take the topical medicines also. Dr Geetika Paul
Follow-up: Suggest treatment for post pimple scars 2 hours later
My chemist has Azelaic Acid Gel 15%. Is it ok to use this instead of cream of 20%? Thanks!
Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 7 minutes later
Brief Answer: acne Detailed Answer: Yes, it is fine. You can use it. Remember to apply it only at night. It should not be rubbed too much over the skin. Just apply little bit over the pigmented areas and scars and leave it overnight. If it tends to dry the skin, you can use a moisturizer oil free one on the face before its application. Dr Geetika Paul
Follow-up: Suggest treatment for post pimple scars 6 hours later
Thanks doctor! As a preventive measure and to avoid using antibiotics frequently, is there any way I can reduce the pimples? I have cutdown my intake of dairy products, oily and junk foods and I exercise and drink plenty of fluids yet I see acne breakouts often. Also, how do I know whether I have allergy to certain foods which cause acne? Is there any medical/lab test to find out? Although I don't get as many pimples as I used to during my teenage, the scars are pretty tough to get rid of. Please let me know your suggestions.
Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 1 hour later
Brief Answer: acne scars Detailed Answer: Hi again See going by your present skin condition, you surely need to take oral antibiotics for sometime. Now as far as the role of food items is concerned, if you feel that any particular food item increases the lesions of acne, then you should avoid it. Otherwise, scientifically speaking only nuts have been found to aggravate acne lesions. There is no blood investigation to confirm the same. Also since you seem quite concerned about the scars, I would like to tell you that there are various treatment options for the same. You can try the medicines as advised but if you feel that the response is not adequate, then You can see a nearby dermatologist and discuss options like chemical peeling, dermabrasion and laser photofacials. All of these help in improvement of post acne scars. Dr Geetika Paul