Suggest treatment for poor eyesight due to myopia

Excellent

Ophthalmologist
Question
I have a poor eyesight and wear lenses.my power is -3,-3.75 . is there any was of lower the power or having a normal again without undergoing any lasik surgery
Posted Thu, 13 Feb 2014 in Vision and Eye Disorders

Answered by Dr. Dadapeer K 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Laser surgery is the only method as of now. Detailed Answer: Hello Welcome to Health care Magic Iam Dr. Dadapeer K, an ophthalmologist and I answer health problems related to eye. It seems from the history that you are having myopia or short sight with refractive power of -3 and -3.75. This is simple myopia. This is the commonest refractive error seen in children and in adults. This is because of variations in the length of the eye ball or in the curvature of the cornea. The treatment options available are correction by using spectacles or contact lenses or refractive surgeries like LASIK. Coming to your question, is there any was of lower the power or having a normal again without undergoing any lasik surgery? Iam sorry to inform you that other than spectacles or contact lenses or refractive laser surgeries like LASIK there is no method to normalize your vision. As of now Laser surgeries like LASIK are the only way to correct refractive errors like myopia other than spectacles and contact lenses. But having healthy diet rich in vitamin A like green leafy vegetables and avoiding excessive near work helps to prevent progression of the refractive error and prevents worsening of the vision. Hence as of now the only treatment to avoid using spectacles or contact lens is to undergo refractive laser surgery which is one of the safest and most commonly performed surgery. Hope I have answered your question and the information is helpful to you. Thank you

Follow-up: Suggest treatment for poor eyesight due to myopia 8 minutes later
can acupuncture, ayurvedic or homeopathic treatment help? also does bates method work

Answered by Dr. Dadapeer K 18 minutes later
Brief Answer: None of the methods are in use or known to cure. Detailed Answer: Hello Thank you for the follow up query. Acupuncture has been tried to correct myopia and many studies have been done but none of them are successful and hence further studies are required. Ayurvedic treatment are basically aimed at reducing the progression of the myopia and they are not known to reverse the refractive error. Bates method is non longer approved as far as I know and few techniques like over exposure to sunlight might actually damage the eyes. Hence they are no longer advised by Ophthalmologists. I hope you have done quite a long research on treatment of myopia by methods other than spectacles or contact lenses or refractive laser surgeries. But as far as I know there is no other method available to correct myopia other than laser refractive surgery. Laser refractive surgeries are the safest with complete correction of the refractive error with proven safety. The recent advancements in the field of ophthalmology have made the laser refractive surgeries one of the safest with minimal or nil complications. Hope I have answered your questions. Thank you