Suggest treatment for polycystic ovaries and irregular menses

my sonogram report for PELVIS : The bladder is smooth walled and uniformly transonic. There is no itravesical mass or calculus. The uterus is anteverted, and measures 12.7 x 8.0 cm. It is bulky. Myometrial echoes are heterogenous. A heteregenous nodule of 5.7 x 5.2 x 6.5 cm is seen in the posterior myometrium - ? Adenomyotic / Degenerating fibroid. The endometrium is thickened and measures 1.1 cm. The right ovary measures 2.8 x 1.5 x 3.0 cm ( 6 cc ) it is normal in size. The left ovary measures 2.6 x 1.9 x 3.7 cm ( 10 cc ). It is enlarged in size and shows multiple small peripheral cysts. Request doctor to advise is it a serious concern and what kind of treatment is required ? My age is 35 yrs.
Posted Sat, 8 Feb 2014 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 28 minutes later
Brief Answer: PCOS Detailed Answer: Hello, You seem to have multiple problems. According to your symptoms of irregular cycles, and the ultrasound findings you may be having Polycystic ovaries. This is a metabolic syndrome where there is a hormone imbalance causing menstrual irregularities and sometimes infertility. This is usually treated with hormone medication. The second problem is the fibroid, which seems to be quite significant in size. The heavy bleeding is due to that. It may require surgery of the symptoms dont improve. You will need to consult your doctor about medication, but the next course of treatment will depend if you want to increase your family.
Follow-up: Suggest treatment for polycystic ovaries and irregular menses 7 days later
Thanks Doctor ! Request your feedback for the following queries : 1. What is adenomyotic ? 2. Do we need to do any other test to check about this fibroid ? 3. Can I postpone this treatment since my age is relatively less ? 4. If I decide to take treatment, will it stop my mensuration ? If mensuration stops at this age, will it have any impact or side effects or harmone related problems at later stage ? 5. What kind of treatment ( different options ) are available for this issue and your recommendation please. Request your feedback.
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 12 hours later
Brief Answer: feedback Detailed Answer: To answer your queries in sequence: 1. Adenomyosis is a type of tissue pathology where the uterus tissue is thickened, causing the uterine tissue to invade into the muscular layers. Its not cancerous. 2. You can repeat the ultrasound after 6 months of the first, to check for change in size of the fibroid. 3. If your symptoms are severe then you will have to take some treatment, even conservative surgery. 4.Conservative treatment means just removing the fibroid. It will conserve your uterus, so menstruation will continue. In radical surgery, total hysterectomy is done. Your doctor can tell you which is needed, after determining what type of fibroid you have. Even is radical surgery is done, any hormone related problems can be managed with medication. 5. Firstly, your parity has to be considered. If you have completed your family, then surgery is an option. If not, then you need to do so asap. Medical management may help but temporarily. Your fibroid size is significant enough to cause symptoms. Eventually you may need surgery. With regard to surgery, only myomectomy may be done(removal of fibroid only) or complete hysterectomy.