Suggest treatment for pneumonia after a brain stroke

Nov 2013

My uncle is a diabetic patient since last 20 years and was on insulin. He was suffering from the bloodpressure disorder also from the last three years. he was not taking the medicine to control bloodpressure for the last 2 months. Suddenly on 31st XXXXXXX 2014 he was captured by a paralatic stroke on the right side of his body. we took him to the hospital(neurosurgeon) where the Doctor admitted him in ICU on 31st XXXXXXX 2014 and a clot was found by the doctor in his brain. In a later stage while being in the ICU and treatment thereon he was attacked by the chest infection and pnumonia in his Lungs in the ICU itself. The sugar level is not under control throuhout the treatment. The bloodpressure level is getting lower day by day and he is still in ICU. he was also attacked by Ecolii and now the situation is very critical. The doctor is advising us to keep him on ventilator . Today is the 13th day while he is in ICU. The Infection in the lungs and chest is the major problem which the doctors are not being able to control as per the doctors themselves. Please suggest how to proceed now and how much probability of being safe from the life taking danger? Can it be cured? What is the general possibility of being safe for the patients suffering from these complications. Please suggest and guide.
Posted Sat, 1 Mar 2014 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 45 minutes later
Brief Answer: Condition is critical. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you for posting your query, and informing the details about your uncle's health condition. He has suffered from a brain stroke (paralysis) of the left side, resulting in weakness of right half of body. This, in itself, is not a life-threatening disease, and tends to recover slowly with good exercises and physiotherapy. However, at present, he has two additional complications, which are life-threatening. First is the chest infection (pneumonia), which is pushing the doctors to continue ventilator. Until the chest infection is controlled, the ventilator can not be removed, as his breathing is not good. Also, in a person with diabetes, it is not easy to treat the chest infection. The second complication is the low blood pressure, which requires injections such as dopamine and adrenaline. This also reduces the chances of survival. If the chest infection can be controlled and BP level brought up, he would survive. About 20-30% people with these complications do not survive, whereas others survive with disability. I hope my reply has helped you. I would be pleased to answer, if you have any follow up queries or if you require any further information. Best wishes, Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad, For DIRECT QUERY to me: My blog: