Suggest treatment for plugged ears

ENT Specialist
Question
I have had a pluged right ear for about 10 days-what can I do to relieve it
Posted Sun, 23 Feb 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Otoscopy, ear wax, PTA, I/A Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you for your query. 1. Get your ear canals examined by an otoscope to rule out ear wax. This will be the most common reason for a plugged ear. 2. If there is ear wax; and it is dry or impacted, wax dissolving ear drops may be required for a week before the wax may be cleaned out. This is because the external ear canal is narrower in the middle (the isthmus). If the wax is soft and wet, it may be cleaned or flushed out (syringing) immediately. 3. If there is an ear infection (sometimes fungal) or discharge, it has to be cleaned treated. 4. If there is no wax detected, a PTA (Pure Tone Audiogram) and an Impedance Audiogram (Tympanogram) will be required to check for any hearing loss or pressure changes which may also feel like a clogged ear. I hope that I have answered your query. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them. Regards.