Suggest treatment for pigmentation due to Lichen planus

Pathologist and Microbiologist
I had the biopsy and it was discovered that I have lichen something, a skin disease. A steriod ointment was prescribed, and did help with itching but how do I get the color to come back? This is very embarrassing.
Posted Mon, 17 Feb 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Shailja Puri 9 hours later
Brief Answer: Cosmetic management required Detailed Answer: Hello, There are couple of skin lesion with a prefix of 'lichen'. Most probably this disease is lichen planus. Lichen planus is characterised by pigmentation. The disease usually has a waxing and waning course. The pigmentation may take a long time to disappear. In a few cases complete disappearance of pigmentation may not occur. You may try cosmetic ointment prescribed by a dermatologist if skin doesn't turn normal say in the next 3-4 months. In the interim, I advice you to use a good moisturizer and sunscreen agents. It may help. If you have more queries, I will be glad to answer. Dr Shailja P Wahal
Follow-up: Suggest treatment for pigmentation due to Lichen planus 16 minutes later
it is vulvar lichen sclerosis. Same thing right?
Answered by Dr. Shailja Puri 12 hours later
Brief Answer: Lichen sclerosis is due to decrease in estrogens Detailed Answer: Hello and welcome again, Lichen sclerosis is different from lichen planus. Lichen sclerosis is common on the vulvar skin in menopausal and post-menopausal females. Lichen sclerosis is caused by fall in estrogen levels during this menopause and post-menopausal period. This condition is managed by using estrogen ointment on the lesion. Application of estrogen will clear away the pigmentation over a period of time. If you have more queries, I will be glad to answer. Dr Shailja P Wahal