Suggest treatment for persistent pain in the wrist even after two week of injury radiating to fingers on movement

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Fell almost two weeks ago with most of my weight on left wrist. Had general soreness for about three days which I treated with a mix of Motrin, ice packs and a light massage. On Friday, noticed a spot on the left wrist that was a little tender to touch but no real pain, bruising or problems with flexing fingers or range of motion. Hours later, there is pain when flexing fingers and limited range of motion. Not sure this is relevant but I am being treated for DVT in lower right leg since November. No hospitalization and no pain in the leg since Thanksgiving but taking 10 mg of Coumadin/day. Does this require a trip to Urgent Care?
Posted Thu, 20 Mar 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 26 minutes later
Brief Answer: This problem needs a medical attention Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for your query. Persistent pain in the wrist even after two week of injury radiating to your fingers on movement is suggestive of either a fracture or a tendon injury. This problem needs a medical attention and investigations like X-ray and CT scan are entailed. I encourage you to consult your orthopedician who can guide you through the tests after a thorough physical examination. In the meanwhile, for symptomatic relief: 1. Give enough rest to your wrist and hand muscles. 2. Continue to take Motrin 3. Stronger prescription NSAIDS with muscle relaxants may help if simple analgesics do not help. 4. Hot compresses to your wrist will be useful pain relieving measure. I do hope that you have found something helpful and I will be glad to answer any further query. Take care