Suggest treatment for persistent cough

Hi,My daughter 2.5yrs old is having cough from last 10days,took her to doctor.Initally we started with Relent + and mucallite.Even after 5 days cough didin't come down,so her Paed prescribed Bricarex along with Relent +.But after using it for 2 days still she has cough and nights she gets up bcoz of bad cough.And from last 2 days we stopped Relent+ and bricarex on Paed suggestion and put her on Junior Lanzol and mucallite only.its been 2 days we started this but still she has cough.She has been using so many medicines but no relief.Last week she has got fever but now no fever.Docs say no congestion,please advice
Posted Tue, 25 Mar 2014 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Post viral cough Detailed Answer: Hi, At this time I assure the parents. I would still ask you to continue the pediatrician prescription for 5 more days. Please give time for the medicine to act, they are long acting. When a 2.5 yr old had fever plus cough there seems to be viral nature. The post viral course has a slow course and persist for 2 weeks. The second possibility is a GERD which is very common in babies. The acid in the stomach might be reflux into the oesophagus and irritating the vocal cords causing more cough at night. So put the baby on the pillow and reduce the feeds before 2 hours of bed time. Minimize visitors to the house along with minimizing exposure to pollen in the evening and dust. Hope this helps.