Suggest treatment for persistent cough despite taking antibiotics

Emergency Medicine Specialist
I have cough problem almost 4 weeks & I have taken Roxid M,Dericip(Etofyline & Thephylline),CIPZEN D(SERRATIOPEPTIDASE WITH DICLOFENAC SODIUM),ALLEGRA & ASTHAKIND SYRUP(Tebutaline sulphate ,bromhexine Hydrocholoride &Guaiphenesin) for 5 days & get no relief & Then taken SALTUM 375 MG,BENZONATATE TABLETS for 3 days .At present problem is same. In morning there is lot of cough I have to clean. Pl.advice.
Posted Thu, 6 Feb 2014 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. R.A. Singh 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Proper investigations are needed. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for writing your query. After reading your post, I would like to advise that you should get yourself clinically examined and investigated. Following investigations may be helpful :- 1. Complete Blood Count ( CBC ). 2. Throat Swab Culture. 3. Chest X-Ray PA view. You have taken complete combination of medicines but still got no relief. This can be possible when you are taking an antibiotic which is not appropriate for the infective organism. Reports of the culture and sensitivity test of the throat will give information about the appropriate antibiotic for the causative organisms. You should take the antibiotic according to the reports along with a decongestant like phenylephrine twice a day, antihistamine like Fexofenadine 120 mg once a day. Gargle with antiseptic gargle solution should be done for added advantage. Clinical examination including throat examination and auscultation of the chest will be helpful. I hope this is helpful to you. If you have any further query, I will be happy to help. Regards. Thanks.