Suggest treatment for persistent Irritable Bowel Syndrome

General Surgeon
I was diagnosed (or given the overused label) of Irritable Bowel Syndrome years ago. I haven't had a lot of help with it. I have had to fiqure it out mostly on my own through reading and talking to others to have symptoms. I'm 57 years old and the last couple of years, I've had more recurring symptoms then usual. I've recently switched Drs and my new Dr is pressing for a colonoscopy. My last colonoscopy was a total nightmare and I cannot tolerate the saline drink preps since they cause severe vomiting. I am searching for a GI Dr who can help me but I would like to look out more natural ways of dealing with the IBS. Any suggestions?
Posted Tue, 11 Feb 2014 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 24 minutes later
Brief Answer: Detailed below. Detailed Answer: Hello! Thank you for the query. IBS is a kind of diagnose which is very often misused. For some doctors it means "I do not know the reason of your symptoms". To diagnose IBS it is necessary to rule out all other possible issues. I`m pretty sure you havent had all tests done. So your suspicion that you have been given the overused label may be correct. Can you please give some details about your symptoms? In general every person over the age of 50 should have colonoscopy every 10 years OR FOBT (fecal occult blood test) once a year. FOBT should be done 3 times, in 3 consequent dosages. Before this test, you should not eat meat for 3 days. If any blood in stool will be revealed, colonoscopy should be done. Some part of IBS-called issues is caused by chronic bacterial infection. That is why, it is worth to try Rifaximine 400 mg twice a day for 7 days treatment. This is very special antibiotic which can eliminate IBS like symptoms. This are just some thoughts about IBS. Please give some details about your symptoms, recent blood work, thyroid tests, abdominal ultrasound(or CT) and other tests if any has been done. Hope this will help. Regards.