Ask a Urologist   »  

Suggest treatment for pelvic pain syndrome due to prostatitis

Jul 2016

Hi there - about 1 year and a half ago I experienced a situation where I had to hold my urine for some time. Later that day - I noticed some pain in my pelvic area and suddenly increased urgency and frequency of urination. This went on for several days and weeks. I was first treated for a bladder infection and then twice for prostatitis. None of the antibiotics really made it better. During this course of time - I noticed that the rigidity of my erection was decreased. I also discontinued sexual activity for about 3 months because of the pain associated with ejaculation. I eventually found someone who treated me for chronic pelvic pain and interstitial cystitis. Over the course of time - the frequency of urination dissipated and some time after that the chronic pelvic pain did also. The pelvic still comes back here and there but nothing like before. During this time it was also discovered that I had a varicocele, but this does not cause me pain on a day to day basis. However, the rigidity of my erection has never returned. I can have an erection but it isn't as hard as it was before, and at times I still have a slight bit of pain when ejaculating. Is there anything I can do to improve the erection?
Posted Tue, 28 Jan 2014 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 7 hours later
Brief Answer: You can take Viagra to get good hard erection. Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for your query,based on the facts that you have posted it appears that you have Pelvic pain Syndrome due to Prostatitis. You have been treated with antibiotics but did not have satisfactory results ,this is probably due to not taking appropriate antibiotics for a long time (4-6 weeks). Now your main concern is flaccid erection and painful ejaculation. I shall be happy if you can post me few more details to help me in making comments on your problem. 1) Have you consulted Urologist at any time ? and investigated thoroughly to find out the cause of your symptoms.? 2) Have you done culture and sensitivity test of your Semen.? 3) Are you able to penetrate vagina during intercourse? Please consult qualified Urologist for detail clinical assessment and further investigations. Since Prostatitis takes long time to get cured completely you need to take antibiotics and anti inflammatory medications for 4-6 weeks . For erectile dysfunction you can take tab Sildenafil(Viagra) on demand .This will help you to get good hard sustainable erection. Please consult your family Physician for prescription ,dosage and timing of the drug to be taken.. Hope I have answered your query ,please feel free to ask if you have more questions ,I shall be happy to help you Thanks and Regards. Dr.Patil.