Suggest treatment for partially torn PCL in the knee?.

Jul 2013

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
I play soccer at a high level. I was playing a game when I fell on my bent right knee hard. I felt no pain but when I got up my knee just wouldn't work. I went to get xray and doctor said I'll be out for a week. 2 weeks later and the knee is better but still not 100%. I went to a hospital in a bigger city and I've been diagnosed with a partially torn PCL in the knee. The doctor has put my leg in a cast for 6 weeks non weight bearing. Is this the normal treatment for this? I am worried because I am in rural Thailand and I am not sure how competent the doctors here are. I am getting cramps in the cast also. Please let me know. I have attached some mri pics.
Posted Fri, 21 Feb 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Yes, that is the regular treatment protocol. Detailed Answer: Hi, thanks for writing to XXXXXXX In an Isolated PCL injury which is partially torn, the standard method of treatment is by conservative methods (non surgical). So, what you have received from your treating doctor is the normal treatment protocol and there is nothing to worry. However, the rehabilitation protocol is most important in PCL injuries, once the leg is removed from the cast. Regaining motion and strength are the two key objectives of a rehabilitation program. Obtaining full quadriceps strength is essential for achieving the optimal result with nonsurgical treatment. Early strengthening exercises, focus on quadriceps strength with quadriceps sets, straight leg raises, and partial weight bearing in extension forms the important part of the rehabilitation process. So, I suggest you to approach a good PHYSIOTHERAPIST in your locality for the same. In general, the prognosis of a partially torn PCL is quite good with conservative (non surgical) management. Hope I have addressed your query. I welcome any more clarification Regards