Suggest treatment for partially torn PCL in the knee?

I play soccer at a high level. I was playing a game when I fell on my bent right knee hard. I felt no pain but when I got up my knee just wouldn't work. I went to get xray and doctor said I'll be out for a week. 2 weeks later and the knee is better but still not 100%. I went to a hospital in a bigger city and I've been diagnosed with a partially torn PCL in the knee. The doctor has put my leg in a cast for 6 weeks non weight bearing. Is this the normal treatment for this? I am worried because I am in rural Thailand and I am not sure how competent the doctors here are. I am getting cramps in the cast also. Please let me know. I have attached some mri.
Posted Fri, 21 Feb 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 50 minutes later
Brief Answer: Treament appropriate, watchfulness for side effect Detailed Answer: Hi and thanks for the query, The knee joint is one of the most complex joints of the body. Management of knee traumas deserves very keen attention. When poorly managed, complications, mainly like chronic pain could arise. Magnetic Rasonance Imaging (MRI) is the most sensitive test to diagnose knee trauma. I do think you got the result of partially torn PCL from an MRI. It is true that this lesion can be detected clinically, but with difficulty. Considering a confirmed partial tear of the PCL, I think the management plan you were put on is very appropriate. Six (6 weeks) is generally recommended, under immobilized conditions as such. You just need to be patient till you go for a review. It is not rare to experience some mild uncomfortable sensations like cramps, itches or fatigue in affected limb. You really need not bother as such. However, if symptoms become so serious with additional signs like change in limb color or unusual body response to touch, you might have to consult a doctor. I am afraid the MRI images you got are not attached. I however suggest you stick to the advice of your doctor, and perform regular medical reviews as planned by your doctor. Kind regards best as I wish you the best of health. Please, do feel free asking follow up questions in case of need. DR Bain