Suggest treatment for painful lump on leg caused by an injury

Hello, I recently had a fall. My left leg went straight out,but my right leg twisted. I have a lot of pain and now I have a painfull lump on the outside of my leg just below the knee. I am 65. Should I go to the doctor. Thank you. Regards XXXX
Posted Thu, 27 Feb 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Advised to consult orthopedist ASAP.... Detailed Answer: Hi dear XXXXXXX I am sorry for the bad fall you had recently. The painful lump you have might be - dislocated bone - bruising (edema) An urgent further physical evaluation and X-ray should be done to prevent severe problems. You should keep your leg immobilized for some while until improvement. The examination and lab tests will determine the best therapy for you. Again, it is a must to consult your doctor (family doctor) who should direct to orthopedist for further evaluation. Meanwhile, if the fall did happen yesterday, you can apply cold compresses to the affected (lump) area until you go and see your doctor. Wish fast recovery! Dr.Albana