Suggest treatment for painful bowel movement

I am experiencing a very painful bowel movement it is coming in little hard balls a with a lot of straining on my part. I have taken senekot this morning and a stool softener about 1 hour ago, an help would be greatly appreciated.
Posted Thu, 13 Feb 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Sudhir 3 hours later
Brief Answer: For the moment an enema can help you. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for the query. At the moment an enema can help you get the hardened stools out.Other measures you have taken help prior to stools getting hard. For long term- I think along with food changes you should start having high fiber containing foods (wheat/oat, methyl cellulose) will be helpful. Oral laxatives/suppository ,enemas and stool softeners should be continued.Maintain good hydration and regular bowel habit. Reduced intake of non-vegetarian diet. Regular moderate exercises can also help for good bowel movements. In most case these remedies are likely to suffice. If there is no significant improvement I think you will have to consider few investigations to know cause of constipation.Doctor may consider getting colonoscopy done. Hope this helps.Regards.