Suggest treatment for pain in shoulders and upper arms

Question
I have pain both shoulders and upper arms for the past 4 mo. i am 73 yrs.old
Posted Wed, 19 Feb 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Rahul Tawde 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Further tests are needed to run to conclusions... Detailed Answer: Hi, I have read your medical history carefully and feel sorry for the painful situation you are in. Hopefully, together we will try to get the reason of having painful shoulders/upper arms. As your pain is located in both of your shoulders and upper arms, I'd suggest to: - do a chest X-ray - do an EKG and cardiac echo to exclude heart problems - do an abdominal ultrasound to exclude pancreas/liver/intestinal problems If they will result normal, then, the pain you are feeling could be related to arthritis most probably of spine or of the shoulder joints. However, cardiac and other health issues should be excluded by your physician first. Meanwhile, I'd advise to take oral painkillers and keep massaging the painful area and apply warm clothing to relieve pain. Hope it was of help! Dr.Bardha Feel free to ask me other questions you might have!