Suggest treatment for pain in neck and arms after an injury

General Surgeon
my 8yr old boy is cracking his neck and complains of a sore arm, we have had xrays of his arm with no signs, about 6 mths ago he fell of the monkey bars at school and was taken to hospital they did not find any concerns
Posted Sat, 22 Feb 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Ashish Verma 1 hour later
Brief Answer: problem is the cervical spine and not the arm Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for writing to XXXXXXX This is Dr. Ashish Verma, a general surgeon, answering to your query. I dont think that the problem is at at arm...mostly its his cervical spine that has one. I think during his accident at school he had injured this cervical spine which is now causing compression over a nerve supplying the arm... He may needed a CT or MRI of the neck to know exactly where is the compression... Further management will depend upon the report...till then you can give him analgesics... And if you are thinking that its over half an year ago...and why i can tell you that these spine and nerve injuries can present even years later...sometimes fracture heal in wrong way and cause compression or sometimes even the healing callus can cause compression... so a proper evaluation becomes necessary... Hope, that i have answered to all your queries. If you have further queries, i will be glad to answer them.
Follow-up: Suggest treatment for pain in neck and arms after an injury 31 minutes later
I have taken him to several doctors and they have done xrays so you think I should take him back and ask for a ct or mri of his neck, he also complains of dizziness, and feeling a bit off in the tummy could this all be related. What is analgesics
Answered by Dr. Ashish Verma 9 minutes later
Brief Answer: should Detailed Answer: Hi, Analgesics are also called as pain killers in common language... and i think that you are already giving him those...coz he is complaining of stomach pain. These pain killers cause gastritis... acidity.....which he is having start him on antacids of newer type like pantaprazole... its available over the counter.... Now back to your main query....yes you need to get an mri...its better than ct to detect nerve i think that the dizziness he is having could be related to it...this makes it a bit urgent too...and now you need to consult a neuro specialist for all this...he is a better person for this... Regards, Dr. Ashish Verma