Suggest treatment for pain in lower calf?

Hi I have pain in my lower right calf which seems get worse when I am sitting cross legged. I also am experiencing Pain in my right arm especially around my elbow which is tender and my right hand feels weak and stiff and the mobility of the hand feels weak sometimes hard to grasp an object. My neck and the back of my right shoulder is also painful and am having great difficulty sleeping at night waking constantly with pain. I have tried anti inflammatory pills but they are not helping. I am 61 years old female and weigh about 9 stone, 5 foot 4 inches tall eat a healthy diet and walk a lot . Regards XXXX
Posted Sat, 25 Jan 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 5 hours later
Brief Answer: Chiropractice / Massage therapy may help Detailed Answer: HI Anti inflammatory alone may not help. If they do not help there is something other than inflammation that is causing the problem. Unless the real cause is found it is difficult to hit the therapy. Till the time you meet a specialist doctor like an Orthopedic Surgeon or Rheumatologist I would suggest you to rely on Chiropractor and massage therapy for the pain relief. Do hot showers help in relief? As you said Stress, Osteoporosis could be a chief causes but we cannot delay the diagnosis only on the basis. May come up with more suggestions.
Follow-up: Suggest treatment for pain in lower calf? 1 hour later
I have used a heated wheat pack for my neck which did seem to help a little but not dramatically, can you please explain in more detail about Osteoporosis. I have always had a very good diet fresh vegetables fruits, nuts cheese fish etc I do not eat any processed or take away foods exercise regularly and have done all my life, I thought Osteoporosis was caused by poor diet and not enough exercise.
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 10 minutes later
Brief Answer: Osteoporosis is caused by multiple factors Detailed Answer: Good diet and regular exercise can delay the onset of osteoporosis and its complications but it mostly hormonal regulated. The chances of osteoporosis increase by 10 times once a female enters menopause. The oestrogen hormone is not produced largely after menopause. Before we worry about Osteoporosis it is better to confirm it with DEXA scan.
Follow-up: Suggest treatment for pain in lower calf? 15 minutes later
I am in Australia and I am not familiar with DEXA Scan can you explain what this is and where would I go to have this done? Also would having menopause for a much longer increase the risk or delay the risk as I have continued with menopause symptoms they are on going
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 21 hours later
Brief Answer: Dexa scan is bone scan Detailed Answer: Your GP will know about DEXA scan. It is a test done using X-ray at a radioimaging centre. All your limbs, chest as well as pelvic bones will be scanned using low dose X-ray to figure out low and high bone density area. The total results will be published as bone mineral density score which can be accordingly classified as 'normal', 'osteopenia' and 'osteoporosis'. With regards to menopause, most women get over menopausal symptoms. However a small subset of people continue to suffer from menopausal symptoms. You are not uncommon. But since the state of menopause cannot be reversed just like aging, symptoms of menopause can be managed with symptomatic treatment. Hormone replacement may be started if risks outweigh benefits. You should discuss with a Endocrinologist or referral by GP for DEXA scan. IT can be done at any hospital lab/ diagnostic centre. Hope I answered all your questions. Regards