Suggest treatment for pain in left achilles

Hi I started experiencing discomfort in my left achilles on Sunday during one of my runs. I'm currently training for a half marathon that's on 3/16. I had never experienced any pain before Sunday so I'm hoping it's a pull or a mild strain. I'm able to flex my calf muscle and do calf raises with no pain. I also feel no pain when I'm sleeping/at rest. My walking has become more comfortable day by day but I'm still in no position to run right now. I've been icing, heating and elevating throughout the day. Do you have any suggestions?
Posted Tue, 25 Mar 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Add diclofenac 50mg thrice daily and Tylenol Detailed Answer: Hi and thank you so much for this query. I am so sorry to hear about this pain that you have. From the information you have provided, it is very likely that you have you a strain or some form of tendinitis (Inflammation of a tendon). You are doing the right things already. I will simply add that you should try pain medications like Tylenol and diclofenac. These would help to control the pains as well as control for any possible inflammation. Also, you would need to stop practicing vigorously and if need be call off this marathon to get proper healing to avoid aggravating this lesion and causing further damage which may worsen the injury and make healing a lot more difficult. I hope this really helps you. I wish you a quick recovery. Please, feel free to ask for any clarification and and more information if need be. Thank you for using our services. Dr.Ditah, MD.
Follow-up: Suggest treatment for pain in left achilles 12 minutes later
Thank you for your kind words. As far as stabilization, would you recommend any achilles tendon braces in particular? How often should I stretch the tendon? Judging by my current symptoms - would you recommend hopping on a stationary bike in a few days to start warming up the ligament? I want to do everything in my power to be ready for race day - even if I have to jog lightly the whole time - I must complete it.
Brief Answer: Just any anke braces would do Detailed Answer: Hi and thanks for following up with me. There is no need for a specific brace type, If you can get any to immobilize the ankle and prevent the stretching of this tendon, that would be fine. I don't think we should be going for an expensive one right now given the mild intensity of your symptoms. I will suggest that you give it at least 72hours before stretching again. If o n trying to use it it again hurts then i will strongly recommend that you consider this decision to take part at this marathon. I pray the recovery comes sooner so that you can actually participate actively in this race because I can sense the determination in you to be part of this. I wish you well. Let me know how you feel in 72hours after resting the tendon enough. Dr.Ditah, MD.