Suggest treatment for pain in labia minora

May 2013
Hi, I have a burning pain on my labia minora. It has been super red in that area for close to 5 weeks and that is not normal for me. When it first came came about I had thought it was a yeast infection and treated it with Monistat for 3 days. When this did not work I went to see a doctor at the clinic. He thought it might be a bacterial infection so he treated it with medicine for that.. used it for 7 days. It did not work. I did not go to the doctor the following week because I got my period. I went through my period it still hurt the entire time. I thought it would go away if I just let it be but it has now been close to 3 weeks since my period was over and still hasn't gone away. I plan to go to the doctor again this week. . What do you think it might be? I am so afraid there isn't a cure for this and I will be stuck with this forever. I am 43 years old, white female. I am of normal weight 135 pounds.
Posted Tue, 18 Feb 2014 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 2 hours later
Brief Answer: vaginal swab culture and sensitivity Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for the query. This time when you consult your doctor go for vaginal swab culture and sensitivity. That can detect the possible causative organism and it's sensitivity to drugs. Depending on that treatment can be taken. Avoid scratching the area, using tampons etc. Sometimes deficiency of estrogen can lead to these type of symptoms. So check for estrogen and FSH levels. If estrogen deficiency is found you may need local estrogen cream. Intially better to use soothing agents like creams containing zinc oxide, which will decrease pain and erythema. Don't worry there may not be any major problem. Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer followup queries. If you are satisfied with the response, please give your review at the end of the discussion. Take care.