Suggest treatment for pain due to shoulder bursitis

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Hello Dr., I have shoulder bursitis. I had been injected once on shoulder but have no relief from pain. Is there any way to get rid of this pain?
Posted Sun, 2 Mar 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Chander Mohan Singh 1 hour later
Brief Answer: There are still many options available. Detailed Answer: Hi, I have gone through your query. There are many ways to treat shoulder bursitis, do not be concerned if single injection did not help you Bursitis that is not infected as in your case, can be treated with ice compresses, rest, and anti-inflammatory and pain medications which your doctor may advise you e.g aceclofenac+serratiopeptidase combination etc. As you have already had steroid injection in shoulder, you should atleast wait for 8-10 days for the pain to subside, you have to take care of your shoulder i.e apply ice packs for 30 mins in morning and evening for 4 days then apply hot packs for 30 days, Physical therapy such as heat, ultrasound, electrical stimulation, ice and compression, are used to decrease pain and muscle tightness, avoid doing heavy exercises are usually be used to aid the recovery from bursitis, especially when it is accompanied by a frozen shoulder. You can do strengthening exercises to improve shoulder stability and reduce pinching of the bursa as the arm is raised. These exercises are uploaded on you tube. Surgery is rarely needed to treat impingement syndrome. You can discuss about the medicine and physiotherapy section with the treating doctor. I hope you have got your answer. If find it useful for, you may close the discussion and if possible you may rate the answer 5 points for me, so that I get a good feedback. Thanks. Dr.Singh