Suggest treatment for pain due to sciatica

Nov 2013

ive been treating sciatic pain in my left leg with Neurontin and baclofen...still have pain in tendon behind my knee and in back of thigh is this tendonitis or is it coming from the sciatic nerve what can I do to alleviate this pain
Posted Wed, 26 Feb 2014 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 59 minutes later
Brief Answer: My reply is below. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you for posting your query. The most likely cause of your symptoms is "sciatica", which occurs due to a pinched nerve in the lower back. This can lead to back pain, pain and tingling in the legs, and weakness. You could take gabapentin and baclofen at the same time. Pregabalin capsules (in place of gabapentin) could also help. The diagnosis can be confirmed by doing an MRI scan of the lumbo-sacral spine. I hope my answer helps. Please get back if you have any follow up queries or if you require any additional information. Wishing you good health, Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad, India Click on this link to ask me a DIRECT QUERY: My BLOG:
Follow-up: Suggest treatment for pain due to sciatica 5 minutes later
will these medications and exercise for the L5 disc cure the sciatic problem
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer: My reply is below. Detailed Answer: Thank you for getting back. These medications and exercises would cure the problem in about 70% of cases. However, if the severity of nerve compression is more, improvement does not occur. In those patients, epidural injections or surgery may be needed. Best wishes, Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)