Suggest treatment for pain due to muscle strain

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Feb 2014
Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Question
I have this pain in my arm when i bend at elbow, more severe in the morning Has started happening for around a week What do i need to do
Posted Mon, 24 Feb 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 45 minutes later
Brief Answer: Seems to be muscle strain. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for your query. The fact that your pain is occurring with movements indicates a muscle strain. Any strained muscle when stretched gives severe pain. I advice you to follow the below mentioned guidelines - * Give adequate rest to the involved muscle group and avoid any movement that causes pain * Ice packing once in every 2 hours over the affected area * Moist heat application to relax the muscles * Use analgesic anti-inflammatory medications like Advil or Aleve to reduce the pain and inflammation. * Analgesic medications as needed If the symptoms don’t improve, or if you are prone to recurring bouts of pain, see your doctor or physiotherapist. I do hope that you have found something helpful and I will be glad to answer any further query. Take care